MATCH REPORT: Men's 1st team vs Miramar Rangers

3 Jul 2016

We welcomed Miramar to Wakefield Park in what was a genuine six pointer. A win would lift us above Miramar, a loss and we risked being cut adrift in the relegation fight.


The game started at a frantic speed, both teams desperate to establish the early momentum. Miramar took the lead in the sixth minute, capitalising on a defensive error.

The Miramar player slamming the ball past goalkeeper Sam Martin.


The early setback seemed to spark the lads into life. We pressed with energy and purpose, making it difficult for Miramar to create any sustained periods of pressure. The pace of the game remained full throttle, resulting in an open, end to end half of football.


Miramar had a genuine chance to extend their advantage with a vicious, curling effort that rattled the crossbar. While we were executing our off the ball game plan, we were too loose in possession and took too long to get into the game.


As the half wore on, we managed to find our rhythm and started to get in behind Miramar's back four. John O'Driscoll was enjoying a fine game as he bet defenders with ease. He was a constant threat throughout the 90 minutes.


We were starting to dominate proceedings and were rewarded for our efforts, as O'Driscoll's corner was met by the run of Paul Clune, whose bullet header flew into the back of the net. 1-1 at the break.


Halftime arrived and we talked about the need to show greater desire to get forward and put Miramar under pressure right from the first whistle. We took too long to grow into the 1st half, something we couldn't afford to do again if we were to go on and get the result we so badly wanted,


Both sides came out firing at the start of the second half. The game was halted for the best part of 10 minutes after Sam Martin made a fine save with his face, leaving him bloodied and needing to put his nose back together. The big man showed great courage to play on and continued to make some wonderful contributions in what was another fine display.


Both sides pushed and pressed as the game continued to be played at a cracking speed. We introduced attacking players Tim Hall and Hamish Parker as we threw everything at Miramar.


O'Driscoll and Scott Macandrew gave us great width in attacking areas and it was O'Driscoll who had the best chances of the second half. He had one chance blocked on the line and a wonderful curling, right footed effort which was deflected agonisingly wide.


As time ticked away, both sides continued in their search for a winner, but as the full-time whistle sounded, we had to settle for what was a hard fought, well earned point.


The game had been played in great spirit, both sides trying to play football the way it's meant to be played. I genuinely hope there is a way both sides remain in this league.


Strong performances from goalkeeper Sam Martin who made several telling saves throughout the 90 minutes and right fullback Scott Macandrew, whose consistency at this level is turning into a real asset.


Man of the match was awarded to John O'Driscoll whose work rate, quality in possession and delivery from wide areas meant he was a threat with every touch of the football.


While a draw didn't do much for either side, it does move us further away from Kapiti. Each of our remaining six games now becomes a cup final. I believe we have the hunger, desire and quality within the group to get the job done.


Thanks to all those who supported us yesterday. You were treated to a pretty decent game of football.


Look forward to seeing you all around the club.




Please reload

© 2020 BNUAFC Proudly created with

  • @BNUAFC1969